Entrance Courtyard

Fotografia da elicottero della Corte d’ingresso (Fototeca ISAL-BAMS Photo Rodella)
Fotografia da elicottero della Corte d’ingresso (Fototeca ISAL-BAMS Photo Rodella)

The Villa has a U-shaped floor plan, typical of the 18th century mansions in Lombardy, composed of a main structure annexed with the low side wings that delimit the “Courtyard of Honour.” The original plan was done by Giuseppe Piermarini, who supervised also its construction in the second half of the 18th century.

His successor, Pelagio Palagi was instead the author of the renovation works from 1817 to 1844. Assigned by the Traversi he changed it, by adding two jutting structures in the facade and in the buildings around the two smaller courtyards, hidden behind each of the lateral wings. Closed beyond the main courtyard to the north with an intricate gate in cast iron, and brick columns crowned with statues, beyond which an exedra or plinth public square opens out.
the front of the villa, developed in a refined alternation of doors surmounted by arches on the ground floor and enlivened by the advanced position of the side structures, acts as the courtyard’s fulcrum. The latter is extensive to allow free access to the carriages and deep enough as to give the villa a scenic accent once the gate is passed. In the centre is a green geometric flowerbed, as a foretaste of the lawns in the huge park in the south. A functional and gathering space, this courtyard is also an important visual joint between the various volumes of the complex, today used for various activities: the side wings in the east host the town Library, and to the west a place for various project designs, in the centre, the villa is an important filter between the park and the city, from which it is separated through the majestic gate.