The Luigi Castiglioni State High School is a school for higher education that includes orientations to studies in agriculture, and offers courses in “Environmental and Territorial Management” in the technological framework of “Agriculture, agro-foods and agro-industry” and “Services for agriculture and development of rural development options for the marketing of agricultural products of the territory” as part of the professional education programme.
The Institute avails of a farmstead with related farmhouse adjacent to the park for the breeding of animals, some of which are endangered species like the Varzese cattle species and the Brianza sheep. These activities are part of a more extensive programme for the promotion of biodiversity that produces also flowers, fruits and vegetables to be sold directly to consumers.
The school’s orientation programme, together with the value of the area in which it stands, is a constant inspiration to the students to acquire a sense of active responsibility and virtuous professional behaviour for the protection of the territory.
The Luigi Castiglioni Institute thus gives students the opportunity to obtain a Diploma in Farming, Agrifoods and Agroindustry, and become Agricultural Surveyors. This professional figure has competencies in the field of organisation and management of production, and transformation and development activities of this sector, with particular focus on the quality of products and respect for the environment. Such professionals moreover, are able to intervene in aspects related to the management of the territory, with specific regard to environmental, hydro-geological and landscape equilibrium.
Schematically, the Agricultural Surveyor can:
– collaborate in the implementation of eco-sustainable animal and plant production processes, through the application of the results of the most advanced research work;
– control the quality of productions under the physical-chemical, hygienic and organoleptic aspects;
– identify local needs for the improvement of the environment through inspections with opportune indicators and intervene in soil protection and landscape structure interventions to support the settlements and rural life;
– Intervene in the product transformation sectors by activating technological and biotechnical procedures to obtain quality and cost-effective results and also handle the correct waste disposable and re-usage of wastewater and residues;
– control the said activities through accounting and cost-effective methods, with the compilation of accounting, budget planning, and quotation documents, and recording efficiency indices with remarks on and analysis of profitability;
– issue useful evaluations on goods, rights and services;
– effect cadastral recording operations for their conservation; interpret thematic papers and collaborate in territorial management activities;
– mark out the conditions of environmental distress and programme interventions to protect the zones at risk;
– collaborate in activities that promote and market farm and agro-industrial products;
– collaborate in the planning of corporate activities, facilitating the control of transparency and traceability.
The educational orientation provides for three different didactic paths regarding: “Production and transformation activities,” “Management of the environment and territory,” and “Viticulture and oenology,” as concrete development of the programme.
The “Production and transformation” programme studies the issues related to the organisation of animal, plant and vegetable productions, their transformation and marketing of the relevant products, and the use of biotechnologies.
The “Environmental and territorial Management” programme studies the issues related to the preservation and protection of the environmental heritage, and the topics related to estimation and rural engineering operations.
The “Viticulture and oenology” programme studies issues related to the specific organisation of vitivinicultural products, transformation and marketing of the related products and use of biotechnologies.