The Church of San Guglielmo

The church was in a sorry state, and after a pastoral visit on 27 July 1573, the Archbishop S. Carlo Borromeo summoned the inhabitants of Castellazzo (60 families) and asked them to build a new church. The Cusani family, who owned the next-door villa, took it upon themselves to carry out the Archbishop’s order. In 1577 the apostolic visitor, sent by the archbishop, reported back that the church had been built according to a design by the architect Martino Bassi. “It is a single-naved church, 20 arms’ lengths long and 19 wide; three steps lead to the main chapel where the altar can be found; on the left there is the baptistery and on the right the bell tower.”