In the seventeenth century works started on the new basilica, which was opened for worship in 1736. The present-day layout of the building dates back to the end of the nineteenth century, thanks to the generous contributions of the local people, both in terms of money and in terms of working days.
The sixteenth century-style interior houses various Baroque-style altars of considerable value. There are some interesting sculptures including the high altar (1744), produced by the sculptors Nava and Antignati, as well as the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows and Our Lady of the Rosary (eighteenth century). The frescoes on canvas depicting Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem (1861) and Jesus With Children (1858), painted by Mauro Conconi, are noteworthy. The decorative vaults were produced by the painter Giuseppe Riva (1928-1929) from Bergamo. The church also houses a fine, steel-covered, engraved, processional cross, which dates back to the start of the sixteenth century.
The bell tower is the oldest building in the city. It dates back to the middle of the fifteenth century when it was built with the ruins of an ancient tower that had been set on fire during military action. At the time, the tower was in an anterior position compared to the church and because it didn’t have any entrances at ground level, it was connected to the basilica with an above-ground walkway.
It underwent changes in the nineteenth century to make room for the new set of bells, which was installed in 1843 and is still played today by Desio’s bell ringing group.