This permanent museum exhibition opened in December 2012 in the halls of Villa Visconti Borromeo Litta, and which collects materials and objects that have shaped the history of the printing press throughout the centuries, since the invention of movable characters.
The innovation was such that in just 50 years there were more than 30 titles printed with a circulation of more than 12 million copies across Europe. In Italy the printing press began to be used in 1465, at the monastery of Subiaco in Lazio, thanks to some printers from the German cities of Cologne and Mainz.
In the Museum there is an English made printing press of 1840 and different pedal and semi-automatic printing machines along with the tools necessary to perform a printer’s tasks. Among the various types are movable characters in lead, wood, plastic and a particular metal alloy composed of lead, tin and antimony. A room is then dedicated to photography relevant to printing, through the exhibition of antique cameras and tools for photographic prints. Aside from these objects, there is a collection of materials used in the composition and printing of the posters of The Scala Theater of Milan, a few books dedicated to the history of printing and numerous photographs of the many printing houses in the municipal area, whose donations make up much of the collection displayed in this museum.