The little church dedicated to Saint Mary lies close to Pope Pius XI’s birthplace. The building was the gathering place for the brotherhood of the Blessed Sacrament, but it was also used for celebrations when the basilica was closed.
Inside the church there is a gilded wood altar, which dates back to the seventeenth century, as well as various canvases. Two particularly interesting oil on canvas paintings from the seventeenth century depict scenes from the Apocryphal Gospels: The Marriage of the Virgin and The Expulsion of Joachim from the Temple.
There is also a baptismal font, which probably dates back to 1511, made from the holy water font of the ancient church of San Francesco (which no longer exists today).